Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's only water...

It's funny how people forget to take umbrellas out with them - even when they leave home in the rain, we just dash here and dash there to avoid the drops (I heard of a study done to measure whether you get less wet by running through rain... you don't).  All you have to do is pull on a pair of gumboots, pick up a groovy umbrella and celebrate the rain that falls around you - it's only water afterall and it dries... really!

I got these pink Hunter wellies 2 years ago in New York.  It was November and cold and wet, but it was New York, so it was OK.  After agonising over the colour (and the fact that it never really rains in Sydney so how can I justify gumboots?), we bought them and they joined us in a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and the subsequent nourishment of shoestring fries at the Heights Cafe - the winning recommendation of a dear friend.  The boots didn't see daylight again until we returned to our own hemisphere but it's amazing how much it does rain once you're of a mind to enjoy it - to savour, rather than scorn weather is much more pleasant.

It's my birthday so why should a little rain dampen my spirits?  I walked to work with my umbrella and returned to an unexpected pile of presents on my bed!  Love a spontaneous shopping trip to make up for lost time - and in secret!  Will share the spoils in a later post but for now, as the man says, "Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain..."

No comments:

Post a Comment